Friday, January 21, 2011

Brrr...mont

We're getting some decent mileage in while visiting my folks in Vermont.  I'm having fun showing Chris some of my old dirt road routes.  The one above is in Barnet.  It has been COLD though!!  The blood has definitely thinned since living in coastal California.  ;-)

1/19 - 9 miles on quiet, snowy dirt roads in Barnet Center.
1/20 - 7 miles of same in North Danville.  Shoveled my parents' roof.
1/21 - 8 miles on McLaren & Somers Hill Roads in West Barnet.
1/22 - 8.5 miles snowshoeing on the Rattle River Trail (AT) in the White Mtns.  Getting colder...
1/23 - Cold.  We're taking the day off!  Went out for a nice breakfast in Gorham.
1/24 -  Minus 20 this morning.  Waited until it "warmed up" to minus 4 before setting out on a 7-mile loop in Danville - down a dirt road, through a covered bridge, and back on hardpacked snowmobile trails.  Beautiful, crystal clear views of the Whites ~40 miles away - Moosilauke, Franconia Ridge & Twin Range, all the way up to the Presidentials.  Haven't been in temps this cold since Denali '08 & haven't run with a face mask in, oh... about 10 years.  Nuts!

6 comments:

SteveQ said...

Just saw your schedule. Coyote 2 Moon sounds like a beautiful, but very tough course (and something in the back of my head keeps whispering "Hardrock... someday, you want to do Hardrock"). I just might see you at the Black Hills!

After reading your doing the NH 4's in 5 days, I wondered what the equivalent would be here: the 13 MN 2000s. Except maybe for one, they might all be possible in one day.

RunSueRun said...

Steve, you DO want to do Hardrock!! :) It is my favorite event out there. That's really cool about the MN 2000'ers, seriously. Sounds like a neat goal to me!

Aliza Lapierre said...

How long are you in VT? Would love to run!

RunSueRun said...

OMG, Aliza... if only I could keep up! Thanks, you're sweet. I am here another week but am pretty tied up each day. Am planning on the VT 50 this fall though. Stay warm over there!

Deanna Stoppler said...

I was going to say the same thing as Aliza! But I see you are busy. Have a great time, and enjoy this warm spell, eh!

Steve Pero said...

Crazy girl....don't you remember "why" you moved??? I ain't going back there....;-)